The St. Joseph Thrift Shop is open on Thursdays and Saturdays, 2-4 pm.
We are also grateful to receive donations. Click here for our Donations Centre
When Madonna House began in 1947 there was only a little six-room house. Everything related to the apostolate was under one roof. By the late 1950s, Madonna House in Combermere had grown immensely and it became apparent that those whose life was to be involved in the local area needed a place of their own. It was in 1963 that St. Joseph’s House was opened and put in charge of this very special mission. Located just down the road from Madonna House, it is near, yet with another thrust.
We are a field house in this rural area of the Diocese of Pembroke. Our foremost concern is living out the Gospel of love, first among ourselves and then among all people we meet. As with all our houses, we live by donations and are grateful to our benefactors who make our life of service possible.
We are in touch with many people in the valley through our clothing room and household item shops. Home visiting and the encouragement of family life are among our top priorities. Rural living presents its own challenges and allows us to be with our neighbours, serving them in very ordinary and sometimes extraordinary ways.
We are sustained by the Eucharist, morning and evening prayer together, as well as by poustinias. We pray constantly for the needs of all our neighbours near and far.